Answer: Families today certainly are "flexing and fluxing," to be sure. The lists below contain some of the many major family and household types, and suggestions when ministering to them.
- Nuclear-Original husband, wife and their biological children
- Single - parent -A never married, divorced, or widowed parent with children
- Stepparent -A biological parent and children married to another adult
- Blended -Two adults and their biological children from two previous families
- Grandparent -One or more grandparents rearing their children's children
- Separated -One parent, separated from his/her spouse, and his/her biological children
- Single Adult -One or more adults of either gender living together
- Cohabiting-One male & one female living in a romantic relationship with/without children
- Homosexual -Two adults living a homosexual lifestyle rearing children (biological, adopted, step, foster, expanded etc.).
- Homosexual/heterosexual -Usually one male and one female with children
- Expanded -Any of these family types with a child for a period of time (from court, relative etc.)
- Non family - Adults, and possibly children, living together who may/may not be related
- Combination - Other households formed from a combination of any of these
How can we minister to these diverse family types and the combinations they form? The following suggestions and basic principles are meant to be thought starters in an attempt to relate to many different types of households.