A Study Guide to Psalm 40:1-3
Read the verses from two or three different versions and a paraphrase. Particularly recommended are the New American Standard Bible and The Living Bible.
- What two things did the psalmist do in these verses?
- What six things did the Lord do for the psalmist?
- Where did the new song come from?
- What was the old song?
- What will be the results of the Lord doing these things for the psalmist? (verse 3)
- What is your "pit of destruction" or "miry clay"?
- What are you doing about your situation? Are you doing what the psalmist did?
- What can you expect the Lord to do for you because He did it for the psalmist?
- What is going to result from your situation as it did from the psalmist's situation?
- On the basis of what God is going to do for you, what should be your attitude? (See also Romans 8:28 and 1 Thessalonians 5:18.)
- When can you expect God to do this work in your life?
- Write these three verses on small cards and place them around where you work or live so you can meditate on them throughout the day, every day!